This page has moved to a new address.

Should I Use Rit or Tulip Dye?

The Freckled Canvas: Should I Use Rit or Tulip Dye?

Monday, January 13, 2014

Should I Use Rit or Tulip Dye?

Remember when I posted about the kid's I nanny's halloween costumes? And how I talked about dying their clothes to make the costumes? I wrote about using two different brand of dyes. And now I'm finally getting around to reviewing them. I was not paid to use these products or write a review on them.


I've been a fan of Rit dyes ever since I can remember, since that's the kind my mom had always used. I went to the place I have always gotten Rit dyes at Hobby Lobby and they weren't there. So I thought they didn't carry them anymore so I just picked up the tulip brand. I later found out that Hobby Lobby keeps Tulip brand with the t-shirts and Rit brand with the fabric. Why can't they just get along and cohabitate?

I really liked Tulip for the ease of dying. There were a lot less steps before putting the fabric in. But there is a downside, they don't hold the dye very well and they don't have many color options. It took three rounds of dye to get the Tigger pants to look that orange, two of Tulip and one of Rit. It bothered me that they looked so much darker wet than they did dry.



















Rit dye has lots more options and varying shades of a few colors. It's a little bit more complicated of a process but it holds the dye a whole lot better. It does say on the box to leave it in for some amount of time or until you reach the color desired. Leave it in longer than the amount of time because when you rinse/wash it the first time A LOT of the color comes out. And that goes for both brands.


So even though I liked the process better for for Tulip brand I'm definitely going with Rit brand. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them!

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At January 22, 2014 at 4:21 PM , Blogger Gary and Shelice Murphy said...

Good to know. Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

I'm so excited that you liked my post enough to comment!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home